Tuesday 6 March 2012

Erica Stocking's workshop on private/ public space

I believe we all enjoyed the workshop lead by Erica Stocking last Sunday on Public/private space. This is what we did.


We started with locating us and determining breadth of site together from our body, Arts Umbrella, Granville Island, Vancouver, BC... the site that takes in to account a certain level of “public”. Then we took some time to wander “site” to get to know it, and then discussed what we found out. I realised how little I understood about the building I was standing in!

Do you remember this valuable formula? I also mentioned the exactly same thing on our first class with an example of candy stacks by Felix Gonzalez-Torres. Check if you're applying this to your final project. Start from yourself, and consider this artwork is for the audience to see, and what formal actions you're going to take to make it happen. 


For the second half, we brought an object from the 'site' and described it just like Erica gave us an example with her purse on its personal, formal and social side of the object. (personally that's from her friend, formally it's black etc., socially it's a vintage bag which reveals the person who owns it etc.) Then, we chose one of the description and locate it somewhere in public space. This way, you practiced a mini-version of 'site-specific' art. 
(I introduced the term 'site-specific' also on the first day with my work shown at Dr Sun Yat Sen Chinese Garden. Remember?)








Examining a delicate leaf and writing things down in the shape of the leaf. 


 Everyone found something very interesting whether it's banal or unique that I didn't notice it was in the room such as this broken microscope. 
 Teresa's sharp eyes on the recycling bin. 

 Blended in


Now the objects are located and it's time for a group critique. I wished we had more time!
An iron found its new home by Blake.






I have my favourite quote from Erida of that day.
"Notice what you pay attention to, pay attention to what you notice."

1 comment: