Sunday 25 March 2012

Maurizio Anzeri-to Adam

Information source: http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/artists/artpages/maurizio_anzeri_giovanni.htm

If any of you're interested in embroidery and the use in contemporary art, there is an article is in Elephant magazine issue 9. 

Maurizio Anzeri

Giovanni

2009
Photographic print with embroidery

51 x 41 cm

“I’ve been collecting old photographs for a long time. A few years ago I was doing ink drawings with them and out of curiosity I stitched into one. I work a lot with threads and hand stitching, and the link to photography was a natural progression. I put tracing paper over the photo and draw on the face until it develops. Sometimes the image comes straight away, suggested by a detail on a dress or in the background, but with the majority of them I spend a lot of time drawing. Once the drawing is done, I pierce the photo with a set of needle-like tools I invented and take the paper away; the holes are obsessively paced at the same distance to convey an idea of geometry. When I begin the stitching something else happens, drawing will never do what thread will – the light changes, and at some points you can lose the face, and at others you can still see under it.”

1 comment:

  1. Oh my god i LOVE IT!! Im so inspired by this artwork! Thanks min!!

    ReplyDelete